Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MeistersingerVonNurnberg MeistersingerVonNurnberg is offline

Default Workbooks w macros showing as "locked for editing by"

Hi All -

I'm choking this one up to a corrupted recycle bin, likely caused by my new
POG WD 250 HD.

Basically for now, turned off the recycle bin, manually deleted INFO2 from
each of the recycle bin folders, rebooted a few times in between, and finally
cleared the recycle bin of everything.

I believe my Excel VBA development just happened to coincide with the
recycle bin problem. Any thoughts to the contrary are appreciated.

-thnx

"MeistersingerVonNurnberg" wrote:

Hi - THanks.

Well, it is a remote machine, so logging on/off
as someone else may not yield the desired effect.

In another twist - so, I finished editing the robust
macro, and closed XL all the way down. I copied
the file. I re-opened the file, enabling macros.
Everything fine.

I delete the file. It goes to the Recycle bin. I try to
clear the recycle bin. Won't delete the copied robust
macro file. Give message "Cannot delete Dc6: It is
being used by another person or program"

Does this whole mess maybe have something to do
with the certificate I removed from the XL VBA Project?

Again, still no answer on this one. Thanks all...

"Halim" wrote:

hi,

Maybe you can try by Logon computer with another user name. Or reset your
current user profile by creating new one.

Halim

"MeistersingerVonNurnberg" wrote:

Hi All -

Really cannot say for sure what is happening here. I have a pretty robust
6500 line macro in Excel VBA. It's worked for years; a very tight Excel VBA
app that has been thoroughly tested. No other add-ins. No forms. Takes data
from one sheet, and produces bar charts essentially in another sheet. No
graphical objects, just formats cells and stuff. I had a SelfCert certificate
attached to it. I removed the certificate so I could edit the macro in
development mode recently.

Other workbooks in the same folder I am working are giving "locked for
editing by" messages when I try to open them. Some of the workbooks I have
opened while I was editing my robust macro in the VBE. Some of the workbooks
I launched by "enabling macros" while I was in the VBE editing the robust
macro. Some of the workbooks I have actually physically changed the file name
of, and then when opening for the first time with the new file name, I get
the message.

I was having this problem this afternoon, changed the name of my working
folder. Rebooted, and seemed fine. Changed the folder name back, still seemed
fine. Did some hours after drinks tonight, and the problem is back.

Now, functionally speaking, if I get my robust XL app, or any of the others
I am referencing while developing, to open properly, everything works as
expected. No functional flaws at all. Just XL thinks the file and some of its
friends are open when they are not.

Only system change was MS security updates for January that came in last
week or so, and the McAfee ones that came right behind it.

Any ideas?