Bernie Deitrick

Bruce,

Array enter (enter using Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

=SUM(IF(1/COUNTIF(rngPlaces,rngPlaces)<1,1/COUNTIF(rngPlaces,rngPlaces),0))

will work as long as rngPlaces isn't a complete column (must be less than
65536 cells long)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Bruce Norris" wrote in message
.. .
Could someone help me out on this, please?

I have a single column range as a defined name (rngPlaces).

I want a formula in another cell to count how many values (text) appear
more than once in the range.

So...
- Values that appears only once in the list: Don't count.
- Values that appears more than once in the list: Count the value as 1.
- Blank cells: Don't count.

To further clarify - a value that appears multiple times is only
counted once.

- "Mexico City" appears 50 times: "Mexico City" counted as 1
- "Paris" appears 2 times: "Paris" counted as 1
- "Denver" appears 1 time: "Denver" counted as 0

Any ideas?

Excel 2002.

Thanks.