Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula to calculate number of hours worked in a day

If you want to convert Excel times (which are counted in days) into hours,
then you need to multiply by 24. Your 10 hours, if still an Excel time, is
stored as 10/24, so when you multiply by 8 you get 3.33.
--
David Biddulph

"xololady" wrote in message
OK< Next question. When I total the hours at the bottom, I want to take
that
total and multiply by an hourly wage, such as $8. I got 10 hours for a
sum,
but when I multiplied it by 8, I got $3.33.

"xololady" wrote:

Thank you! That worked! I thought my formula made sense, but it didn't
work.

"Toppers" wrote:

Format cells as hh:mm and Total cell as [h]:mm: the latter will stop
Excel
subtracting 24 from the total if it is 24

Start time in A1 and Finish Time in B1

in C1: =MOD(B1-A1,1)

This will allow for times running over midnight

If this doesn't ever happen then =(B1-A1) will suffice

Assuming times are in rows 1 to 7 , then in C8: =SUM(C1:C7)

C8 formatted as [h]:mm

"xololady" wrote:

I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in
and out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I
sum (12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time.
But my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by
24?