Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Clueless in Seattle Clueless in Seattle is offline

Default Green Triangle in Upper Left Corner of Cell

I'm keeping track of my eBay purchases with an Excel 2003 work sheet.

I have one column for item numbers (each item auctioned on eBay is
assigned a unique number). It seemed logical to format the cells in
this column as text, since I cannot imagine any reason why I would
ever want to perform mathematical operations with these numbers.

I did experiment with formatting the cells in the column as numbers,
but then the numbers appeared in a strange way. For example, the
number which appears in text as 300153751051, appears in number format
as 3.00154E+11. So, even if I wanted to format the cells as numbers,
I wouldn't know how to read the numbers.

But, with the cells formatted as text, when I enter item numbers into
these cells, little green triangles appears in the upper left corners
of the cells.

These little triangles are annoying little eyesores, sort of like
getting a speck of grit in your eye. Is there a way I can format the
column so that these triangles will disappear. And if so, is there
any reason why I shouldn't get rid of them?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"