Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default File encrypted in Excel format. How to decrypt the file?

From where are you attempting to open the workbooks?

Hard Drive or removable media?

If the latter, try copying to HDD first then open it from there.

Or try the Recovery Tool from StartProgramsMS OfficeToolsApplication
Recovery

Gord

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:14:11 -0700, Chuck
wrote:

The error states "Excel cannot access "zzzzzzzz.xls". The document may be
read-only or encrypted." I do have a backup taken last week (03/25) the
last time changes were made to the file. However, the back up is showing as
encrypted as well. I was using it just yesterday. Now both the backup and
the original are encrypted and for the life of me I don't know why. Actually
the folder they are in is encrypted as well.