Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Auto Fill function in Excel 2007 not working properly

To count autofiltered entries use the SUBTOTAL function.

=SUBTOTAL(3,range)

Will count only visible cells.

As far as autofilling goes.

I generally use this method.

Enter a number in a cell

Right-click on fill handle and drag down.

Release button and "Fill Series" to get a series of numbers.

Otherwise you must have two numbers so Excel can see a pattern.

Enter 1 in A1, 2 in A2

Select both cells and drag down.

The series will fill.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:29:01 -0800, Raudawg wrote:

P.S. I had applied filters to the data sheet, and was working deliberately
with one of the filters. I see that if I remove the filters, the function
works.

So that still leaves me with a question: If I want to count the number of
entries in a filtered list, how do I do that? For example, should I use a
formula with something like "COUNT" or "COUNTIF", rather than trying to
simply enumerate the rows?

If so, how do I do that?

I will be eternally grateful for a correct, understandable answer.

Steve