Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Formula to change Phone Number format

Did you catch the part where the OP said some numbers are already formatted
as xxx-xxx-xxxx?
--
John C

"Kevin B" wrote:

Insert a helper column and enter the following formula, replacing cell A1 in
the example with the first cell containing your phone numbers:

=LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Copy down the help column.

Copy all the formulas in the helper column and move the cell pointer to the
first cell containing your original phone numbers. Right click on the cell,
select PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click the OK command
button to return to the worksheet.

Delete the helper column when done.
--
Kevin Backmann

"pete5440" wrote:

I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
format affect how the formula runs?