Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default Do not show blank cells as 0 in chart

Then make sure the cells are truly blank.

Is it an area chart? An area chart doesn't treat blanks or NA() the same way
that line or XY charts do.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Sheila Innes" wrote in message
Jon

No, there are no formulas in these cells.

Sheila

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Sheila -

Do you have formulas in Recruitment!$B$4:$B$9 and Recruitment!$O$4:$P$9?
This is where you need to change "" to NA(), if it's a line or XY chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Sheila Innes" wrote in message
Hi Jon

I checked the chart and the 'not plotted' option is already selected.
The
equation for the chart is =Recruitment!$B$4:$B$9,Recruitment!$O$4:$P$9.
The B selection is the month, the O is the actual and the P is the
target.
Any more help much appreciated.

Regards
Sheila

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

1. Select the chart before going to Tools - Options - Charts.
2. What kind of chart is it?
3. If it's a line or XY chart, if you have a formula that returns "",
understand that this is not a blank cell, it's a cell with a formula,
so
Kelly's solution won't change how the cell plots. Change the "" in the
formula to NA(), which gives you an ugly #N/A in the cell, but gives
you
the
Interpolate behavior in the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Sheila Innes" wrote in
message
Thanks Kelly. Problem - the Not Plotted is grayed out, so I can't
mark
it.
Any ideas?

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

Excel lets you choose how you can plot empty cells.

As zeros, not plotted or interpolated.

To make your choice, select your chart, go to Tools Options
Charts
and
select the Not Plotted option button for empty cells.

....Kelly

"Sheila Innes" wrote in
message
I have a spreadsheet with a two columns, one for expected
enrolment
numbers
and the first column of actual enrolments. For April we expect
90,
so
have a
blank cell to the right for actual. This is showing a line from
the
March
enrolment of 3 down to 0. How do I get the line to stop at 3
until
put
figure in for April?