Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wnagatani

Default XLS to CSV Conversion - #'s convert to Date

Thanks, you are right.

Warren

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

1. open a fresh, empty worksheet
2. format cell A1 as text and enter 1-2006 in it
3. save the file as Book1.csv
4. exit Excel
5. open Book1.csv in NotePad
you should see 1-2006 just as you entered it.
6. close NotePad
7. open Book1.csv in Excel
you should see that Excel converts it to a date upon re-opening

Its not saving that's the problem; its re-opening.
--
Gary''s Student

"wnagatani" wrote:

When I convert an XLS doc into CSV, I have one field that converts to a date
and I do not want it to. The format of the column is text but it does not
seem to matter. The numbers in the field are alpha-numeric, if they contain
an alpha, it does not convert ot a date, if it is just numeric, it converts
to a date. Here is an example of the values:

1-2006
1-1SR0

Help!