Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AltaEgo AltaEgo is offline

Default How to calculate frequency of lottery numbers?

My pleasure. I suspect you will enjoy building your lottery tool more than
spending the winnings <bg

--
Steve

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
Thanks AltaEgo! You gave me the help that I was looking for, although I
still
may have more questions after working with it some more. The other posters
did not provide any help. They were mainly concerned about the philosophy
of
whether or not playing the lottery is a right or wrong thing to do. I
wasn't
looking for a lecture in morality. <roll eyes

Later...

"AltaEgo" wrote:

Unless I misunderstand the question, you seem to be seeking a count of
the
number of times each number appears in the range A1:E100. If so, in L1
enter
the formula:

=COUNTIF($A$1:$E$100,K1)

Copy the formula down to K59.

We all know whoever runs the lottery takes away the biggest prize but
hope
springs eternal.
--
Steve

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
I'm new to Excel, so please explain things to this newbie in
non-technical
terms as much as possible! I have downloaded the array of previous
week's
winning lottery numbers, and I want Excel to create a number frequency
chart
for me. The numbers are 1 to 59. I want to calculate a histogram of the
frequencies of each number from 1 to 59. So far, I set up Excel so that
the
results of the previous lottery games are in 5 collumns.
A1:A100,B1:B100,C1:C100,D1:D100,E1:E100. I then entered the numbers 1
through
59 into K1:K59. I tried to use the Frequency function, which sort of
seems
calculate the frequencies as expected, but I don't know where to find
the
resulting array of frequencies. I hope what I just said didn't sound
too
silly, but my problem is that I don't know how to complete the job so
that
can some how view the array of frequencies in some easy to view form,
such
as
a histogram. Any help would be most appreciated (and I hope it makes
me
rich!! LOL)