Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron de Bruin Ron de Bruin is offline

Default In excel what does a file ending with .xlsx mean?

Hi pdog1967

This is one of the new file formats in excel 2007

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007filesin2003.htm

This are the main formats in Excel 2007 :

xlsx = xlOpenXMLWorkbook (without macro's in 2007, xlsx)
xlsm = xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled (with or without macro's in 2007, xlsm)
xlsb = xlExcel12 (Excel Binary Workbook in 2007 with or without macros, xlsb)
xls = xlExcel8 (97-2003 format in Excel 2007, xls)

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"pdog1967" wrote in message ...
I have created and saved several files in Excel. I then sent them to a friend
at a different company. I was then notified that they could open all of the
files that were .xls but the one that was .xlsx they could not open. How did
I get the file saved with the extra x, and what does that mean?