Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege Beege is offline

Default How do i get Excel not to drop my 1st zero (02360)

apj,

I maintain that zipodes are not numbers, because no calculations will be
done with them.

That said (phew),

format/cells/custom "00000" could work for you, except if you're using
both 5 and 9 digit zips. I'm sure there are other posts giving you a
good solution for both scenarios, like a column with:

=IF(A1 99999, TEXT(A1,"00000-0000"), TEXT(A1,"00000"))

Or something...

Beege

apj wrote:
Ihave tried formatting the column before I start typing my zip codes and that
works great, however I have a list typed up already highlighting then
changing it to text does not work... how do I format a list I have typed
already to show the 0.

"Yaesu Man" wrote:

I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?