Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
James Silverton James Silverton is offline

Default how i calculate pearson correlation coefficient for excel grap

Hello, James!
You wrote on Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:52:37 -0400:

JS "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in
JS message
?? Correl is the better choice. In Excel 2003 and later
?? Correl and Pearson are identical. Prior to 2003, they are
?? mathematically equivalent, but Peason is numerically
?? inferior.
??
JS Without disputing your analysis, since all my tests seem to
JS produce identical results with Excel 2002, can you point me
JS to details of why PEARSON is inferior? Perhaps, you might
JS let me have some data that would produce different answers.

I'll just add that I checked my results again but I had to look
at the 14th or 15th decimal to get a numerical difference. I
suppose there must be data where the difference is more apparent
but I'd debate whether the differences of the coefficients have
any meaning for my data.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: