Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Excel: Change Direction of Group/Outline Function

I don't think I understand you.

You *can't* form *different* groups from contiguous columns.
XL requires a "totaling' or "summary" column between each individual group.

If you group Columns E to H, you *cannot* create a group of Columns I to L.
If you try, XL will simply combine them into a *single* group.

Or am I not following you at all?

However, if you would leave a column in between each group as a summary
column, XL by default, designates this *ungrouped* summary column to be on
the right side of the group (or on the bottom for grouped rows). This is
where it (XL) places the "+" and "-" signs to expand or collapse the group.

To change this default setting from "right" to "left" (or "bottom" to
"top"),
<Data <Group&Outline <Settings
And check or uncheck the desired configuration.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ray Carter" <Ray wrote in message
I am using a 4 level Outline in my spreadsheet... I'd like the cascade of
the outline to go from left to right.

IE: my sheet has twenty columns and are grouped in four columns each. I
would like the outline to group as follows:
columns 5-8 displayed, then
columns 9-12, then
columns 13-16, then
columns 17-20 last

The reason is that this is an explanding sheet so as needed you add groups
of columns in fours to the right side of the document.
Excel insists on doing just the opposite... I need help please.