Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
xololady xololady is offline

Default formula to calculate number of hours worked in a day

I got the hours to do what I want. Now I am trying to calculate wages
earned. So I add the total hours by $8. I got 10 hours times $8 and it gave
me $3.33. The hours are formated as time and the total hours is formated as
time. I calculated the pay cell cell as currency.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

If you want to get decimal hours, rather than Excel time format, divide by
24 and format as General or Number.

But the answer is 8 hours, not a sub-zero number. You may need to check
that all your data are times, not text. Temporarily format the four input
cells as number, rather than time, and then you should see them all change
to decimals of a day. If they don't all change to decimals of a day, there
may be spare spaces or non-printing characters which are keeping them as
text.
--
David Biddulph

"xololady" wrote in message
I am trying to put together a time sheet, where I can put my time in and
out,
and then give the total hours at the end of the day. For example, I sum
(12
pm -8 am) + (5 pm -1 pm). I have formatted these cells to show time. But
my
formula spits out a sub zero number. Do I need to divide these by 24?