Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Martin Fishlock Martin Fishlock is offline

Default adding feet and inches

Another way is to format the cells as fractions and us 5 6/12.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Wolverhampton, UK

"Luke M" wrote:

Correct, you either need to input as two columns(A & B?), or use decimals
(i.e., 5'6" inputed as 5.5

Former solution formula, result in inches:
=SUM(A1:A100)*12+SUM(B1:B100)
Result in ft:
=SUM(A1:A100)+SUM(B1:B100)/12

If you use decimals, its a straightforward sum.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Tacklemom" wrote:

I am trying to set up a spread sheet to calculate inventory. I need to add
some items in feet and some in inches. I need to know first do I set these
up at 2 columns one for feet and one for inches ( eg 5'-6" would be in two
seperate columns) and I also need to know how to add the feet and inches
together to know the total feet and inches that I have in stock..

Help please!
--
Donna