Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default What is the purpose of a macro?

Hi Linda,
Kind of wished I'd answered first so that the answers get better
latter on, anyway here was my attempt, not a real definition.

Macros are generally code that is embedded into other code,
but with interactive usage such as in Excel this has changed a bit.

In Excel they are programming code to do some task(s) for you,
you can record a VBA macro yourself that will do the same as what
you did before (watch a video...)
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...ordmacros.html
from http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm
Basically if you do record a macro it will not be exactly what you
but will help you see what instructions you might need.

A macro is coding to help you do various things
1) include some functionality that Microsoft did not include in Excel
2) do the same thing as you've done before, but without having to
think about, or take a long time with tedious repeated tasks
(you might start by recording a macro)
3) use someone else code to modify or help with Excel

You can invoke a macro, or you can have an event driven macro that
starts when you do something.

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Linda" wrote in message ...
I need to know more about macros--what is their purpose? What is a situation
where I would use a macro?