Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default How can I increase the number of text characters in a cell

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 100 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:03:02 -0800, Preadno
wrote:

Hi there

I am working on an Excel spreadheet with lots of text. The cells seem to
accept only a certain number of characters before the text runs out of the
cell. Is there anything to increase the number of text characters in a cell?

Any response would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP