Dave Peterson

Is the data in each record (for the same field) always the same length?

If you open the .csv file using Notepad, does it look ok there?

wrote:

CSV file - Thats just what I thought, but its not the way Excel treats
it. No matter where the comma is placed, all the columns are of equal
length.

Dave Peterson wrote:
Comma separated values files usually contain fields that vary in length (between
records). The comma is the delimited that tells the program reading the file
what goes in each field.

If you want fixed width fields (like for a mainframe application????), you may
be able to just adjust the columnwidths and do File|saveAs (and choose
"formatted text (space delimited) (*.prn)" in the "save as type".

Saving a .csv file with fixed length fields seems kind of unusual to me.

--

Dave Peterson