Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Conditional formatting excluding empty cells

Try this...

In Excel 2007

Select the range of cells. Assume this range is A1:A7
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a
formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the box below:
=AND(A1<"",A1<"complete",A1<"not started",A1<"stalled")
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

In Excel versions 2003 and earlier

Select the range of cells. Assume this range is A1:A7
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kicker" wrote in message
I have a collumn that shows project status with possible values of:

Started
,25
.50
.75
Complete
Stalled
Not Started

What I am trying to do is to get any cell where the value is NOT
"Complete",
"Not Started", "Stalled" or blank to have a different background color.
The
rest of the cells are default color.

I'd be happy to get anything that is not "Complete" and blank left as
default and the rest as colored. When I try to do this using conditional
formatting it always ends up with the blank cells shaded along with the
ones
I do want shaded.

Thanks

"T. Valko" wrote:

Need more info.

What cells do you want to format and based on what condition?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kicker" wrote in message
This may be a somple question for all of you. I want to use
conditional
formatting to change fill color that specifically excludes blank cells.

The question is: What value to I put in the condition/formula field of
the
dialog box for a blank/empty cell.