Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default HOW DO I SUM TWO CELLS FROM ONE WORKBOOK TO ANOTHER WORKBOOK?

Enter this in A1 of Sheet1

=SUM(INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4-3):INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,ROW(A1)*4))

Drag/copy down as far as you need.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:06:13 -0700, the_damnit
wrote:

Lets say I have a big column of data. In this case it data taken every 15 min.
I want to turn this into data every hour so I must sum 4 cells at a time and
end up with this data in a column.
The issue is that if i do this with formulas and then try to extrapolate it
down then lets say my new column looks like this
Sum(Sheet2!A1:A4)
Sum(Sheet2!A5:A8)
Sum(Sheet2!A9:A12)
Ect.

Then if I try to drag this down the new cells are
Sum(Sheet2!A2:A5)
Sum(Sheet2!A3:A6)
Sum(Sheet2!A4:A7)
Sum(Sheet2!A6:A9)
Sum(Sheet2!A7:A10)
Sum(Sheet2!A8:A11)
Ect

This second set of data is not what I am looking for and I don’t know how to
do this with out entering in 800 formulas.

any ideas?

"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I found that for the cell in Worksheet 1, where the various cells from
Worksheet 2 were to be added, I wrote "=SUM(" and clicked on all the cells in
Worksheet 2 that needed to be consolidated, and Excel did the rest. Thanks
for showing me the way.
"Bill O'Neal" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2002, trying to create a budget (say, workbook 1) that sums
data from a second workbook (workbook 2). There may be 3 or 4 cells in
workbook 2 (each one the sum of a column of figures) that I would like to add
together and enter in a single cell in workbook 1. Using the Consolidate
command in the Data menu, I can link one cell from workbook 2 to a cell in
workbook 1, but I can't get two or more workbook 2 cells to be added into a
single cell in workbook 1. I'm sure there's an elementary solution to this.
Could someone please help?