Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LarryW LarryW is offline

Default Title Text function =PROPER(A3) not working?

Thank you Dave :o) The first one was the fix! U Da Man!
--
LarryW

If you're seeing the formula itself, then it could be a couple of things.

#1. You could be looking at formulas.
Tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas
(in xl2003)
(or hit ctrl-` (control-backquote to the left of the 1/! key on my USA keyboard)

#2. The cell could be formatted as text.
Select the cell
Format|Cells|Number Tab|Choose General (or anything but Text)
Then hit F2, then Enter to tell excel to reevaluate your entry (the formula)

LarryW wrote:

Hi Niek

What I have in Column A is all the names that are in mixed case starting
with A3. I instered a new Column to the right and that is now Column B. I
moved to Column B in cell 3 "B3". I went and entered the formula in the top
formula bar as =PROPER(A3) The same appeared in (B3) and I tapped enter.
After doing so, the name did not appear in "B3" as corrected? all the was in
B3 was: =PROPER(A3) and nothing more? Am I doing something wrong? I am
using WindowsXP, Excel 2003.
--
LarryW

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Larry,

That should work. What do you have in A3 and what appears in B3?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel