Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default how do I get excel to add,then average numbers with two decimals?

If they all start with 3 minutes then you can convert them to times by Edit
Replace 3. with 3:
Then format them with a custom format hh:mm:ss.00 so you can see whats
happening

Then use this array formula (assumes best means smallest time)

=AVERAGE(SMALL($A$1:$A$4,{1,2,3}))

you need to enter this array formula using Control-Shift-Enter

Charles
Outlines for my Sessions at the Australia Excel Users Group
http://www.decisionmodels.com/OZEUC.htm

"wenz324" wrote in message
ie I need to tally little athletics results. I need the average of the
best
three scores.
These are times (minutes, seconds and hundredths of seconds) and I now
realise we probably should have been entering using colons throughout the
season. I'm trying to fix the problem without having to manually change
the
results into times.

3.06.51
3.11.43