Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Formula Omits Adjacent Cells

Adjacent cells has nothing to do with it per se, if you sum a range hidden
cells
will be included if they are a part of that range

if you have Excel 2003 and later you can use

=SUBTOTAL(109,range)

and it will only sum visible cells, for earlier version you need VBA

Peo Sjoblom

"Excel Hater" <Excel wrote in message
I have filters on and I'm using the SUM to add a group of numbers. It
seems
that excel automatically adds adjacent cells that I have hidden(I'm
guessing
it's adding the hidden cells cause the result is way off and I get a
formula
error however; the formula does not reflect these additional cells). I
have
unselected the extend data range option, but this only works the first
time.
After I start working on the spreadsheet and add more SUM formulas it
reverts
back to adding the hidden cells.

I have thousand of numbers so it's not efficient to select each one
individually and I don't remember having to do that before. I used to be
able to use the shift key while selecting large data ranges without it
selecting hidden cells in between.

Is there a way I can permanently disable Excel from automatically
including
adjacent cells when using SUM?