Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tiredazdaddy tiredazdaddy is offline

Default Wildcard character in an "If" statement?

Hi Steve,
I have something similar as I saw here also but is a little more complex. Do
you have any idea on how I can use wildcards to do something similar but with
it nested in with other variables?

I am trying to figure out how to search for a specific alphanumeric value
from a cell in a character string in another cell.

For instance, the below works fine if I only want to find an exact match for
the values within column D for that in cell H3, but I do not know how to
find the same value from H3 if the values in column D contain a match
mixed in a character string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

=SUM(IF(('Input Form'!C$4:C$549=$G$3)*('Input Form'!D$4:D$549=$H$3)*('Input
Form'!R$4:R$549<=$A126)*(NOT(ISBLANK('Input Form'!R$4:R$549))),1,0))

"T. Valko" wrote:

Here's one way:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*stringname*"),B1*0.5,B1*0.75)

Or

C1 = stringname

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&C1&"*"),B1*0.5,B1*0.75)

Biff

SteveDB1" wrote in message
I want to do what seems to be a similar IF function.
Here is my version.
=IF(a1="*stringname*",b1*1/2,b1*3/4)
My goal is to look in a cell which contains a phrase. The phrase itself
varies {the cell contents could be a name of a person, with (word)
following
it}, but the particular component that I'm seeking either shows up as
(word),
or as (word1). Eg., cell contents being within the dbl quote marks: "Dave
Johnson (word)", or "Danny Thomas (word1)"
Where "word" could be anything.
I've tried already, and it <always returns a false value-- b1*3/4.
1- can I do this?
2- what would I need to do in order to make it work?
I've also tried the tilda, and question mark. Neither of those are
working.
If however, I just have it look in a cell with a single character, the
equation works fine [=if(a1="c",b1*1/2,b1*3/4)]. I'd assume that it'd work
well too if I had just a single word in the cell, as opposed to a number
of
them. For some reason I just can't get it to work with longer elements,
where
I want to locate a single word within a string of 5 or six words.
If I'm unable to do this, what variation would I need to accomplish this?
Thank you.