Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MS-Exl-Learner MS-Exl-Learner is offline

Default How to sort names in alphabetical ascending order?

To get it in a single formula then use the below:-

Row / Col A Column
Row1 NAME
Row2 NDF
Row3 ABC
Row4 YJK
Row5 LDF
Row6 NTK
Row7 PMR
Row8 OTF
Row9 KQY
Row10 DFT
Row11 PKR

Copy and paste the below formula in B2 cell

=INDEX($A$2:$A$11,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11," <"&$A$2:$A$11),ROW(1:1)),COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11,"<"&$A $2:$A$11),0))

Place the cursor in B2 cell and press F2 and give Cntrl+Shift+Enter, since
it is an array formula.

Copy the B2 cell and paste it to the remaining cells of B Column depends
upon the A column data.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Eric" wrote:

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of functions work with text
characters?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

"Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:

Large and Small functions only work with the Numbers and it doesn't work with
Text Characters.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)

"Eric" wrote:

N.B. how can I sort them using formula, such as large or small function
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

"Eric" wrote:

There is a table from cell M2 to W200, which contains names and empty cell.
I would like to retrieve the names and sort them in in alphabetical
ascending order under Z column.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in excel?