Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Justin Larson[_2_] Justin Larson[_2_] is offline

Default excel adds quotation marks when pasting text

Find and replace does not work for two reasons.

The first is that this is a productivity tool, and I'd prefer not to have to
use a workaround every time I use it.

But aside from that, the program adds quotes in places where there were none
before, so they are not always doubled up. I can't just get rid of them all,
because the text does contain quotes that are necessary for the xml code to
work.

the cell in question (the one I've identified, but there may be more, I am
compiling the contents of about 500 cells with each "export") contains this
text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?<kml
xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2"
xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"

This is what shows up when I copied the cell and pasted it right into this
reply window:

"<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?<kml
xmlns=""http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2""
xmlns:atom=""http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom""
"

"Sheeloo" wrote:

I tested this on Excel 2003 and could not replicate the problem.

Assuming first and last quotes are put in by you, try searching for "" and
replacing with ".

Which version of Excel are you using?