Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Default How to plot a normal distribution - Bell curve

Sebastien -

You mention "300 datapoints" and "Bell curve."

Usually, you first determine a frequency distribution and histogram (column
chart of the frequency distribution, with value ranges on the horizontal
axis and frequency "count" on the vertical axis).

Second, you might want to see if the frequency distribution is approximately
like a normal distribution.

For the frequecy distribution and histogram, you can use the Histogram tool
of Excel's Analysis ToolPak (check Excel's built-in Help). Or, you could use
my free Better Histogram add-in, available from the Histogram page at
www.treeplan.com.

It's also possible to add a normal curve to a histogram. An example workbook
(but without step-by-step instructions) is available in the Excel Examples
section of the home page at www.MikeMiddleton.com.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"Sebastien" wrote in message
I have the daily volatility of Brent crude over the last year. So my
column
A is the date, and column B is the volatility. I have around 300
datapoints.

I want to fit these datapoints in a normal distribution plot to see the
"Bell curve" shape.
How can I do this?
--
Thanks