Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Mo

Default Stop excel from dropping the 0 in the beginning of a number?

I format the Excel ISBN column to the 10 zeros, everything is cool; I set
the column to "text", and save it, first to Excel, and then to the tab
delimited .txtfile.
When I open the file I saved in the .xls format, the ten digits appear with
the leading zero.
Then I open the .txt file in Excel using the text import wizard, and in Step
3, set the column to be imported as text, the numbers are fine, all ten
digits appear.
Okay, then I open the same .txt file in Excel, but make no changes in the
text import wizard. The zeros have disappeared, the column has shrunk, so
that there is garbage in it, but when I expand it, I get the ISBN numbers,
WITHOUT the leading zeros.
My problem is that it is the .txt file I upload to Amazon, and they are
getting it without the leading zero. I have communicated ad nauseum with
them, and they keep giving me the same advice, which doesn't work.
Thanks to you all for the advice. I appreciate it.
Mo

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
You could convert to text directly, but it would not help your situation.
Select the cells you want formatted as Text -- generally an entire column.
Format, Cells, Number, Text

Even though you have formatted as text they do not instantly become text.
They become text when you reenter the information, i.e. F2, Enter

However --
Since your problem is one of missing zeros the above is not going to help
you,
because the number not the formatted number will be converted to text.

I previously suggested use of a helper (intermediate) column
B1: =TEXT(A1,"0-0000-0000-0")
You would then have to convert that helper column to text as formatted,
and therein lies the problem. You will need a macro to convert the
helper column to values based on it's text value. Or you could start
by formatting the original column with
Format, Cells, Number, custom, 0-0000-0000-0.
Then format as text which will be ignored until reentered.

Then select the column
Copy (Ctrl+C), Edit, Paste Special, Values

You can do the entire thing at once with a macro, a macro that could
be easily modified is
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixUSzip5
simply change the format, and change or eliminate length testing.
---
HTH,

"Rosewood" wrote in message
I am saving it as XLS file.

"**Gail**" wrote:

How are you saving the file? Are you saving as XLS or resaving as CSV
or TXT?

"Rosewood" wrote in message
:I am glad that someone else has also tried the 3 solutions that were
: suggested without success. In my case, the some of the numbers start
with
: zeros and some do not, depending on the OEM- which eliminates the
"special
: formatting" option. Unfortunately, the various OEM's are not
isolated, but
: combined in the same columns. Also, if the number is alpha-numeric,
Excel
: sometimes changes the format to scientific- even after the sheet has
been
: proofed and saved.
:
: Is there no way to format all the cells in a sheet in the "text"
format and
: make it stick?
:
: "Mo" wrote:
:
: This is exactly the problem I have in trying to save ISBN numbers
which
: often begin with a zero. I have tried all three methods you have
suggested.
: Once the text in the column appears correct, I save it in the xls
format,
: and can open it in excel correctly. But then I save it into the
tab
: delimited.txt file. When I open the text file in wordpad, I can
see the
: numbers are fine, with the leading zero correctly in place. Then
I open
: the file again in excel, and the zeros have been dropped. This is
: problem, because I must upload my books in a tab delimited file to
Amazon,
: but the zeros disappear, so they don't load my books.
: Mo
:
: "George King" wrote in
message
: ...
: Three ways:
: 1 - You can create a custom format (Format, Cells, Custom) and
enter the
: number of zeros that you want to see digits for.
: Example, if you want to see a total of 4 digits, even if you only
enter 2
: or
: 3, enter a custom format like "0000". Excel will display "0012"
when you
: enter 12. Note that Excel only stores the 12, but displays it as
0012.
:
: 2 - Format the cell as Text
:
: 3 - Enter an apostorphe first, then the number - like '0012
: Excel will not display the apostrophe, just the 0012.
: Note that Excel will treat this as text, not a number - won't
calculate
: anything when it's formated as text.
: --
: George
:
:
: "Rosewood" wrote:
:
: I do a lot of spreadsheet with number that start with one or
more zeros.
: Not
: matter how many times I change the cel format to "text" so that
the zeros
: are
: not dropped, I find that as I go down the sheet, they are
dropped and I
: have
: to re-format the cels to "text" and replace the zeros.
:
: How can I stop the program from dropping the initial zeros?
:
:
: