Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default How do I stop Excel 2007 from using scientific notation?

You'd get the same seeming bad behavior out of Excel 2003 also. You may have
noticed a warning that "some features" of your workbook were incompatible
with the CSV file format. Excel was just trying to hint that you were going
to have this problem when you open the file later on.

One way to deal with it, perhaps not the answer you were looking for, is to
open a new workbook and then use Data -- Import External Data and then
select the group with .csv and .txt file types in it and work through the
definition of the import process, and at one point you can tell it that the
column for that group is to be imported as TEXT!! not converted to scientific
notation.

Hope that helps at least a little.

"jonnyjd" wrote:

I need to stop Excel 2007 from changing a location code (38E2) to scientific
notation. This file needs to be in a CSV format. I have formatted the cell
as TEXT and tried using the single quote before the data ('38E2). Each time
i reopen the CSV file, any cell with that same format (xxEx) turns back to
scientific notation. (Ex. 38E2 3.80E03, 42E2 4.20E03, etc)