Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default File encrypted in Excel format. How to decrypt the file?

If you create and save a new file does Excel still give you a problem?

Sometimes files just get corrupted and nothing can be done with them.

Or it could be a permissions problem.

If you do a google search on "read only or encrypted" you will get lots of
hits with some suggestions.

People have had success with openoffice being able to recover damaged
Excel files.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Gord

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:21:01 -0700, Chuck
wrote:

That didn't work. I have tried executing from the backup as well as the
harddrive and neither are working. I have reinstalled Excel as well. It
seems to me that if I can decrypt the file, I have no problems. However, I
have no idea how it got encrypted and therefore have no idea what to use to
decrypt it.