Amit

Default How to keep rows together when sorting columns?

Hi,

I'm using MS Excel 97. How do I sort columns in alphabetical order, and keep
the rows together? Right now, the way I'm doing this is to move the column I
want to sort on as the first column, and then highlighting all the columns,
and then sorting.

Is there a way to sort the data by a column that is say, the third or the
fourth column, and keep all the rows together?

e.g. I have the following columns (numbering reflects their order):
1. First Name
2. Last Name
3. Social Security Num
4. Address
5. City
6. State
7. Phone Number

So, if I want to sort by City (which is 5th column), if I highlight that
column and sort, only that column is sorted (which is fine), but the
corresponding rows do not move with the sorted data. If I move the City
column to be the first one, and then highlight all the columns, and then
sort, in that case, the data is sorted by City, and the rows are kept
together.

I checked the Help section, but that wasn't very helpful. Will appreciate
any help.

Thanks.

-Amit