Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links,microsoft.public.excel.querydao,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect
Duke Carey

Default Variable SQL Statements pulling from a cell in Excel

Yes it's definitely possible if you handle your queries with VBA. Don't know
if Excel's Data menu option to query an external database can. Actually, I
think it can't

Check out these KB articles

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295646

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...412%2fen-us%2f

"Preacher Man" wrote:

I have a situation that I hope someone can give me a good answer to. Please
bear with me as I try to explain my needs.

My goal is to have an Excel spreadsheet that pulls from a SQL database and
the the query pulls from a variable in the Excel sheet. For example let's
say I am pulling Sales Orders from SQL, let's also simply assume the record
has two fields Year and SOno.

Under a simple query I could say Select * from table. Of course that would
pull all so's from every year.

To filter the query of course I could say Select * from table where
year='2006'. And naturally that would give me 2006 orders.

OK, here's where I can't figure this out. I want the query to filter
according to a value in a cell in excel. Let's use cell A1. Essentially I
am looking for a query that says "Select * from table where Year=(Cell A1 in
the Sheet)"

Is this possible?