Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1 FSt1 is offline

Default What is the purpose of a macro?

hi
what is a macro. from the book....user defined add on programming.
It's a way to automate routine tasks that may be boring, tedious or time
consuming.
anything that you do with the mouse or keyboard can be duplicated with vb
code. in fact, anything that you do with the mouse or keyboard caused vb code
to run. a macro would reduce all the points and clicks and types to vb code
and do it a whole lot faster than you can.
each user is unique and has unique requirements so i cann't say how you
would use then. but i have use them to do a lot of things
one macro i have open 11 other files, downloaded data and update all the
files with current data, created a summary report and did it all a 5 AM while
i as still home in bed. my reports were on the printer when i got to work.
if you want to learn more about macros, see these sites....
http://www.the-excel-advisor.com/exc...-tutorial.html
http://www.exceltip.com/excel_links.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und.../odc_super.asp

the last one wrapped.
there are more.

good luck
FSt1
"Linda" wrote:

I need to know more about macros--what is their purpose? What is a situation
where I would use a macro?