Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Why can't I click the Subtotal button?

Hi

I think this is possibly because the InsertTable automatically has
filters built in, and any summary calculations are already set up using
the Subtotal() function.

Microsoft probably consider (as do I) that a Pivot Table is a better way
of analysing data than using Subtotals.
However, they have left the feature in which you can access if you wish,
(as you have found), by converting the table back to a range.

This behaviour is the same as it has been since DataLists was
introduced in XL2002 and is not new to XL2007.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mlanger" wrote in message
This does not work if the list is set up as a Table using the Table
feature.
I discovered that if I removed the table feature, I could get it to
work by
just clicking in any cell of the list. But thanks for your suggestion.
appreciate the fast response.

Frankly, I think Microsoft's treatment of the database feature is
inconsistent and unfriendly in Office 2007.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Mark your range of data, then from the Data tab select Subtotals