Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default My formula displays just as it is, instead of calculating

Mark

Your new column was pre-formatted as text.

Change format to Generl then F2 and ENTER on the cells.

If you have a great whack of these to do, EditReplace

what: =

with: =

Replace all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:00:01 -0800, Mark Parent
wrote:

Thanks for your response. I should have mentioned that I had tried that.
The first Ctrl-` shows me all the formula on the sheet, and the second
returns all the cells back to their calculated results, except for cells in
my new column, which remain displayed as formula.

"PCLIVE" wrote:

Sorry,

That should have been:

Ctrl + `

` is directly above the Tab key.

Regards,
Paul

"Mark Parent" wrote in message
I'm working with a spreadsheet that was passed to me, and I haven't
created
it from scratch. I've added a column and created a simple formula that
simply displays in the cell instead of showing me the calculated result.
I've checked that automatic calculation is ON. The cell simply displays
=IF(D2=8,E2,"") instead of showing me the value of cell E2 or the empty
value. I've also tried various other formula; they all behave similarly.

I can't imagine what would cause the formula to display, almost like it's
being considered as a text string.....