Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Snap

Default how to make a formula ignore blank cells

Thanks, Pete, but this still seems to assume the blank cell is zero - if I
put a space in between "". If I don't put a space, a Value error appears. My
Full formula reads

=Sum(IF(K3=M3,"1")+IF(K5=M5,"1")+IF(K7=M7,"1"))

- giving an answer of 3 even if cells are blank. I need the answer to be 0
until scores are input. Any further suggestions?

Thanks

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Try this, assuming the scores are placed in K3 and I3:

=IF(OR(K3="",I3=""),"",IF(K3=I3,"1"))

This gives a blank if either K3 or I3 are blank. Your formula does not
check for K3 being larger or smaller than I3.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Snap wrote:
I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance