Bryan Hessey

To find characters that follow z go to the character map (Start, Run,
CHARMAP) and see the order of characters, for Arial ﻼ appears
to be the highest, this should help your sort, but not the look,
perhaps the zzzz is the better idea if users will see this.

Neil Goldwasser Wrote:
Hi! I was just wondering if anybody knows of a character that comes
AFTER z
in the sorting order?

Basically, I have a name defined list of members of staff, which I use
as a
dropdown menu for entering data into certain fields. However, we take
on new
staff all the time, and so I will need to be adding names to that list
all
the time. Because this group is also used as a lookup vector, it needs
to be
in alphabetical order too (and I'd prefer it that way anyway).

I did look at the "Update Multiple Validation Lists" file at
but I'm afraid I am a novice when it comes to macros, and couldn't
manage to
alter the code to match the sheet names, columns etc... in my own
workbook (I
don't have a clue which parameters to alter or how!).

So my basic method was that if I inserted new cells into the name
defined
range, then the cells that the name refers to should expand
accordingly. E.g.
if cells A1:A2 are named "list", I click on A2 and choose insert to put
a new
cell between the two, then my "refers to" part on the define name menu
automatically changes from A1:A2 to A1:A3.

The problem is this - I need to make sure that there is ALWAYS one
cell
below where I am inserting the new one, to make sure the range expands.
If my
last entry was "Young", and I then needed to add a "Zackyros", the new
cell
comes at the end, after the last cell, and I then need to manually go
back to
re-define the named range.

I was hoping to add a "dummy" entry to the bottom of the list to ensure
this
doesn't happen, e.g.
** END OF LIST **
but all the symbols I try come BEFORE alphabetical characters. I can't
find
any that come after Z. If worst comes to the worst I could use
zzzz END OF LIST zzzz
but I thought it would be worth asking first.

Can anyone solve the riddle?
Many thanks in advance, Neil Goldwasser.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392849