Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Default How do I sum numbers thru specifying the amount from another cell?

One way

=SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A100,B1))

where you would put the number of rows you want to sum in B1, note that it
will sum the whole range if nothing is entered in B1 so if you don't want
that

=IF(B1="","",SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A100,B1)))

Peo Sjoblom

"William" wrote in message
So this is what I was wondering on how to do:

I have a set of numbers, and I want to sum them, BUT I don't always want
sum all of them. The amount to sum is specified thru another cell, and I
am
always summing the numbers in order. Ex. if I type in a cell "5", it'll
sum
the first 5 numbers, but if i type in 10, it'll sum the first 10 numbers.
So
basically, the numnbers to sum are dependent on the number you input in
the
one cell. I tried looking at SUMIF, but that only returns the sum if the
corresponding row of another column meets a criteria. The criteria for my
case is in the one cell. What equation do I use?