Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tckok56

Default To Rank on two Criteria

rsenn, your response to my question has been very inspiring. A ver big THANK
YOU from me!!

You have inspired me to try out ways of solving problems which I would not
have tried. U have made my grey matter work harder especially your last
response. THANKS.

I have arrived at another solution and I wish to share it with you as well
as to request for confirmation of its reliablity. The solution is as follows:

GP AV 1/GP + AV/100 Rank
---- ---- ---- ----
1 84.3 1.843000 1
1.25 84.8 1.648000 2
1.25 83.9 1.639000 3
1.88 74.3 1.274915 4
1.88 73.6 1.267915 5
2 52.2 1.022000 6
2.1 51.4 0.990190 7
2.1 51 0.986190 8
3.2 56.3 0.875500 9
4.3 40.2 0.634558 10
5 14.9 0.349000 11

--
May the force be with you!

"rsenn" wrote:

tckok56

Although I don't see how to get the RANK function to directly take
your two columns as the fields to be ranked, it is easy enough to create
from those two columns a third column to get a single rankable column
that ranks the way you want. A sample using your data is posted at
this link.

http://www.anywhereenterprises.com:8...AApQZOAApQZpQZ

Briefly, using your data, convert the first column from a little
number to big number sequence to a big number to little number
sequence. Your numbers range from 1 to 5, so do it as 6 minus the
original number. This will reverse the order. Call this column AA.

Then multiply column AA by a big number; 10,000 in this case.
Call this column AB.

Then add your second column of numbers, the ones from 14.9 to
84.8, to column AB. Call this result column AC.

Then use the rank function based on column AC.

Let me know if this helps.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050