Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pdog1967 pdog1967 is offline

Default In excel what does a file ending with .xlsx mean?

Thanks, I thought that I had saved them all the same, guess not.

"PJFry" wrote:

.xlsx is a Excel 2007 format, whereas .xls is Excel 2003 or earlier.

Excel 2007 allows you to save in multiple 2007 formats:
.xlsx - Normal Excel 2007 format
.xlsm - Macro-Enabled format
.xlsb - Binary format

Save your files as 2003 under Save as Type and you should be fine.

PJ

"pdog1967" wrote:

I have created and saved several files in Excel. I then sent them to a friend
at a different company. I was then notified that they could open all of the
files that were .xls but the one that was .xlsx they could not open. How did
I get the file saved with the extra x, and what does that mean?