Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default If, vlookup, data validation & dependent list

Simplify version:

=VLOOKUP(IF(OR(A3={""," "}),A2,A3),Sheet1!$A$2:$B$141,2,0)

"Karen" wrote:

I have a data validation selection in A2 and a dependent list in A3. There
are instances where there's no dependent list after making a selection in A2;
so there's no entry made in A3.

I want to a formula in A4. The formula will say if A3 is not blank, vlookup
A3 in a lookup table. However, if A3 is blank, vlookup A2 in the same lookup
table. My formula currently reads like this: =IF(A3<"
",VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$141,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A 2,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$141,2,FALSE)).

The trouble is when A3 is blank I get a #N/A result even though I know that
A2 is in the table. Please advise as to how to modify this formula to get
the correct result. All help is prematurely appreciated.
--
Thanks, Karen