Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary L Brown

Default How do I find a % difference between two numbers (comparing 2005 .

Hi Steve,
First off, typically the older stat is the base line. That said, use this
formula, substituting the Cell Coordinates for the years...

=if(2004=0,"",(2005 - 2004)/2005)
or
=if(2004=0,0,(2005 - 2004)/2005)

using 2004 as a base line...
=if(2004=0,"",(2005 - 2004)/2004)
or
=if(2004=0,0,(2005 - 2004)/2004)

Format the cell with the formula as a '%'.

HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

"Officer Steve" wrote:

How do I find the percent difference between two numbers. I am working in a
police department and am comparing our last year 2004 stats to our 2005
stats. I want to use 2005 as the baseline and show either a % increase or %
decrease to 2004 stats. Sometimes I have a zero which throws the forumlas
I've used off.

I would sure appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks.