Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barcelona Barcelona is offline

Default Remove space in front of number in a cell?

THANKS Stefi - don't understand the formula logic, but it worked!

"Stefi" wrote:

=VALUE(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),",","")))
returns the pure number.

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Barcelona€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I have a column of values I wish to sum. However, the data was imported from
a database and is entered as text - e.g $,100,000

I have removed the $ (=RIGHT) sign and the , (=SUBSTITUTE) but have now
found that there is a space in front of the number.

Is there a simple way to remove the space? I have used REPLACE but this does
not work. I have used =RIGHT but this removes the next number not the space.

Any suggestions?