Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default Vlookup return most recent date (value)

OK. I remember a similar response from you few months back while I used
SUMPRODUCT() MAX() combination; but I found that too late to respond...It
works when the criteria (here ColA) is both text and numerics...Thanks Jim

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

You are correct. I had an issue with Text vs Numbers...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Jim, could you please try again..with the alternate query IDs in cell c1...

Col A Col B Col C
1 7:21 PM 3
1 7:22 PM
2 8:05 PM
2 8:06 PM
3 9:06 PM
3 9:07 PM

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

I could not get that to work... In it's current form it just returned zero. I
tried

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX(--($A$2:$A$100=C1), $B$2:$B$100))

But that just returned the max date regardless of the ID selected. Here is
what I ended up with...

=MAX(IF($A$2:$A$100=C1, $B$2:$B$100))

***Note this is an array formula and MUST be committed using
Shift + Ctrl + <Enter

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

With your data in ColA/B and the query ID in cell C1 try the below

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*$B$2:$B$100))

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"ryanholliday" wrote:

Hello,

I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal ID# (001). Column
B contains a timestamp. My table has multiple entries for each ID# and
different timestamps for each entry. I want to use a vlookup to find the
MOST RECENT timestamp for EACH ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan