Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_] is offline

Default Divide a range of cells by a number

On Fri, 2 May 2008 12:45:01 -0700, Kate
wrote:

It's actually very, very simple.... The chart looks like this:

5/1 5/2 5/5 (etc.)
Tchr 1 55 0 55
Tchr 2 80 80 80
Tchr 3 65 65 30
(etc.)

I am inputting the minutes above each day after school. All I want is for
Excel to divide the numbers by 60 (minutes), thus giving me the fraction of
an hour I worked. So it would be like:

5/1 5/2 5/5 (etc.)
Tchr 1 .92 0 .92
Tchr 2 1.33 1.33 1.33
Tchr 3 1.08 1.08 0.50
(etc.)

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
you didn't say how the range was layed out ie solid, broken, column, row
one way....
=SUM(D3:D7)/60 for a solid block in a column.
another....
=SUM(D3+D5+D7)/60 for broken in a column Note: use this if you have other
number between. if letters between then you can use the first formula
and another....
=sum(D3+D5+C7+r29)/60 for scattered. see note at formula 2.

lots of variations too.

Regards
FSt1

"Kate" wrote:

Hello,

I am entering minutes volunteered across a series of classrooms and dates -
for example, I worked 55 minutes with one class, 85 with another, etc. I want
to divide all these cells by 60 to get a decimal version of hours worked
(this will be cumulative over the next 6 weeks).

Could someone please tell me how to divide a range of cells by one number
(in this case, 60)?

Thank you!

Write the number 60 in an unused cell
Select that sell and COPY
Select all the cells in the range that you would like to operate on
PASTE SPECIAL with the radio button for DIVIDE clicked.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke