Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dallman Ross Dallman Ross is offline

Default Count filled data rows until empty

In , Ron
Coderre spake thusly:

If you want a function that give you the count of contiguous, non-blank
cells, beginning with a StartCell....

Put this code in a General Module:

That's super, Ron! Thanks a bunch. Perfect.

One small remaining question: what is a "General"
Module, as opposed to the typical modules I've been using?

Okay, two questions. Why are we making it Application.Volatile?
It seems to work fine without that for my purposes.

=dman=

===========================
Function CountContiguous(rStartCell As Range) As Long
Application.Volatile
Dim lngVal As Long

With WorksheetFunction
If .CountA(rStartCell) = 0 Then
'StartCell is Blank
lngVal = 0
ElseIf .CountA(rStartCell.Offset(RowOffset:=1)) = 0 Then
'Cell immediately below StartCell is blank
lngVal = 1
Else
lngVal = .CountA(Range(rStartCell, rStartCell.End(Direction:=xlDown)))
End If
End With
CountContiguous = lngVal
End Function

Then....in your worksheet

This formula returns the count:
B1: =countcontiguous(A1)

With
A1: Alpha
A2: Bravo
A3: Charlie
A4: Delta
A5: 1
A6: 2
A7: 3

In the above case, the formula returns 7

With this data
A1: Alpha
A2: Bravo
A3: Charlie
A4: (blank)
A5: 1
A6: 2
A7: 3

the formula returns 3

With this data:
A1: Alpha
A2: (blank)
A3: Charlie
A4: (blank)
A5: 1
A6: 2
A7: 3

the formula returns 1

And if A1 is blank, the formula returns 0

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Dallman Ross" wrote:

In , Dallman Ross <dman@localhost.
spake thusly:

In VBA, how can I count the filled cells in a column until
the first empty cell? Thanks for any help, folks.

Man, but it is amazingly quiet in here. I am having a monologue
lately.

After much scrambling around on the net I came up with this, thanks
in no small part to the great MVP tip pages over at ozgrid.com.

Particularly helpful was http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/VBALoops.htm

So here is what I have:

Public Function RcountTillBlank()
Cells.Find(What:="", After:=[A1], LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt _
:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase _
:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
RcountTillBlank = ActiveCell.Row - 1
End Function

That works and I like it. But if anybody can tell me how to make it
take an argument for the range to start the search from, that would be
super. Or any other comments about the above, for that matter.

=dman=