Earl Kiosterud

Shell,

In Excel, there isn't any Tangible property, and we get together once a week
and communally lament that there is no NULL value that can be returned from
a formula or function. But you can test for the UDF returning text with:

=ISTEXT(A2)

Or look for a zero-length string with

=LEN(A2)=0

=IF(LEN(A2)0, "There's a string", "Empty string")

Or look for a number:

=ISNUMBER(A2)
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/

"shellshock" wrote
in message ...

I have a bunch of values in column A. In column B, I'm using a
user-defined function that processes the values in column A and returns
either text of some sort or a blank.

However, even though the cells in column B appear to be unique -- well,
except for the blank cells -- the formula in each cell is essentially
identical (e.g. B1 is =UDF(A1), B2 is =UDF(A2) etc.).

I want to do an operation only on those cells in column B that are
displaying text, but I don't know how to do that automatically.

Is there a way to somehow differentiate between cells that return a
"tangible" value, and those that return a "blank" value?

--
shellshock
shellshock's Profile: