Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duncs[_2_] Duncs[_2_] is offline

Default The Callaway Handicap System

Bernie,

Thanks for getting back to me. What was wrong / confusing me was the
calculation for the raw score. Now that this is fixed, it works perfectly.

Many thanks for you help

Duncs

--
"There are people who have money and people who are rich."
~ Coco Chanel

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org wrote in message
Duncan,

The rules of the Callaway system is that the highest score that can count
against the golfer is twice the hole's par. So, if you shoot 10 on a par
4, your score is 8 for that hole - thus the formula. So, in your example,
on the 15th hole, the 7 on a par 3 only counts as 6.

See

http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l/blcallawaysys.htm

for the scoring system that I implemented.

As for the raw score, I made a mistake, forgetting to use absolute
references. Instead of :

=SUM(IF(C3:C202*B3:B20,2*B3:B20,C3:C20))

I should have used

=SUM(IF(C3:C202*$B$3:$B$20,2*$B$3:$B$20,C3:C20))

entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter. Then it will work correctly when copied to
the right.

Note that I didn't make that mistake in the function usage. This is
correct, and can be copied.

=Callaway($B$3:$B$20,C3:C20,$B$1)

Sorry about that...

Bernie
MS Excel MVP

I am extremely grateful to you. I have noticed one small problem
though, and I'd appreciate your input on this.

I have the following par's enterered in column B - 5, 4, 4, 5, 3, 5,
4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3
Along with the following scores in column C - 6, 6, 6, 10, 5, 7, 5, 4,
5, 7, 3, 6, 7, 6, 7, 6, 8, 4

These scores total, as far as I can count, 108. However, the
spreadsheet you've provided, totals it as 107.

If I copy and paste the entire column into the next clear column in
the spreadsheet, it does indeed total 108.

Also, if I can ask about the formulas...

In the "Raw Score" row, you have the following formula in C21:

{=SUM(IF(C3:C202*B3:B20,2*B3:B20,C3:C20))}

I'm guessing, from reading the formula, that this is saying:

If the Sum of the values in the range C3:C20 (Golfer One) is greater
than the sum of double the values in the range B3:B20 (hole par's),
then the cell C21 gets the value of double B3:B20 (the hole par's)
else, it get the value of the sum of C3:C20 (the hole scores). Is
this right?

Where I am getting confused is with the formula in cell D21.

In D21, you have the formula:

{=SUM(IF(D3:D202*C3:C20,2*C3:C20,D3:D20))}

From this, I believe it is saying...

The Sum of the values in the range D3:D20 (Golfer Two) is greater than
the sum of double the values in the range C3:C20 (Golfer One), then
the cell D21 gets the value of double C3:C20 (Golfer One scores) else,
it get the value of the sum of D3:D20 (Golfer Two scores). Is this
right?

Many thanks for your help

Duncan