Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default changing gap width between specific columns

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Noa said:
This is how my data looks:

2000 2001 2002
data1 data2 data1 data2 data1 data2
a 50 70 55 70 80 60
b 20 30 15 10 10 20

a+b in each data column are stacked,. Now each column is presented separated
from the other in the chart. I would like the stacked columns (datat1 and
data2) for each year to have no gap between them. I do want to keep the gap
between each year. Is there a way to do that without changing the columns'
width? I know I can add space between columns if I insert an empty column in
the table.

There is a way, but it's a bit silly. Arrange your data table like so:

2000 2001 2002
data1 a 50 55 80 (move to secondary axis)
b 70 70 90 (contains a+b)
data2 a 70 70 60 (move to secondary axis)
b 100 80 80 (contains a+b)

Note that the "b" column now contains, not the b values alone, but the
sum of a values and b values. Now create a clustered (not stacked)
column chart, selecting rows, not columns. Then move, first the a for
data1, then the a for data2 to the secondary axis. Be careful to set
your primary and secondary axes so they match in scale height.

The b columns, which contain the values a+b, should now line up neatly
with the a columns in front of them, giving the appearance of a stacked
column chart. Practically speaking, though, you're better off just
putting empty spreadsheet columns in your original data tables to get
the effect of separate columns by year.

--
Del Cotter